As you know from my post on Monday, I have been obsessed, I mean truly obsessed, with finding a pink chevron rug a la Madeline Weinrib for my 4 year old’s bedroom. After many futile attempts, I could not find what I wanted in my price range. From the beginning I was totally opposed to painting a rug. I don’t measure and painting in any sort of design confine makes me crazy.
Unfortunately, drastic times mean drastic measures. I decided last Friday that I would head to Ikea in hopes of a cheap white rug that I could experiment with turning into my desired pink chevron show piece. I found the perfect rug, the Ikea Erslev for a whopping $59.99.
I had read numerous DIY’s on painting rugs, but they sounded way too detailed and time consuming and required my car to stop more than twice. At this point, Ben had been out of town for a few days, I am 900 months pregnant, it was freezing and raining and I decided my car would only stop twice on the mission for the rug supplies. My goal was that the car only stop once, but alas, Walmart did not have a rug that would suffice as my chevron canvas. Therefore, after Ikea, I headed to Lowes.
I knew to buy the green “Frog Tape” to prevent any bleeding but wasn’t sure how much. Since I was only going out once that day, I bought 5 rolls. Guess what? I only needed 1! So if you are buying the Erslev and like the approximate size of my pattern ( 8″ repeat), you only need one roll of tape.
Most painted rug tutorials will say you need to mix a fabric medium into equal parts latex paint. I couldn’t be bothered with that extra step. Afterall, that would mean my car had to stop once more which would send me over my two stop limit. Now, if you want an opaque precise color application, then you will need a fabric medium or else your stripes will be really crunchy and hard. I figured if my brush was very lightly coated with paint and I used a light dry brush stroke, the softness of the fabric would be maintained. This lighter dry brushing technique also will mask many of the imperfections that my quickie tape job would reveal. I bought two shades of paint from Valspar both off the same color swatch. Initially I was thinking I would dry brush the darker shade first and then even more lightly dry brush the lighter coat on top for an ombre hand dyed effect. Once I started with the darker, I soon realized that one light coat of “Sweet Sixteen” was all I needed and never even used the lighter shade. The white shows through the pink so it has the exact dyed effect I was looking for.
Once we got home, I literally just started taping. I decided that the chevrons would be about 8″, and started with one row then just kept moving down the rug. I literally eyeballed all the measurements knowing they would not be perfect. It was close enough for me. I would say this step took about 1 1/2 hours. If you were not 900 months pregnant, I have a feeling it would take a lot less time. The key here is not to worry about your spacing being perfect. You will make yourself crazy if you try to eyeball this and second guess any of your work. On second thought, maybe some of you “Type A” folks should have a margarita or three before you start this step.
After the initial taping was done, I went back through and trimmed the excess from each row. Very boring step. But as you can see below, there are still so many imperfections in my spacing and in the tape overlaps etc. If you are using a really light brush, it really shouldn’t matter though.
After taping was done, Cici and I started painting away. I think it is so important for kiddos to be involved in the design of their rooms. Because she was trusted to help, she loves the rug so much more, and it kept her attention for long enough to finish. This also goes to show you that the technique is easy. If you do decide to have your children help, I would suggest loading their paint brushes for them because you need the slightest amount of paint on the brush. As far as brushes, I bought the cheap wide ones on the bottom row of the paint brush section at Lowe’s. I think they are like $1.39. We did not brush in any particular direction, just kind of went everywhere and every direction, making sure to coat all the white with a small amount of paint. You can see how translucent our paint application is below. You want gradation and differentiation in the paint application and strokes. This will help hide flaws and make the rug appear to be weathered or hand dyed.
Once the rug was completely painted I let it dry overnight, although since the paint was so light I probably could have taken tape off immediately.
The pic below gives you a good idea of the amount of paint used. I also tried to get a bit darker right on the edges of the rug which made it look a bit more “finished”.
Next we pulled off the tape, which is an EXCELLENT project for 4 year old hands, and laid the rug in her room. As I have said, the room still needs some tweaking and a few accessories, but I was thrilled with the way the carpet turned out. Enjoy! And feel free to ask me any questions you may have if you decide to take on the project yourself. And please send pics!
Completed project! Thanks Carrie Smith for taking these pics for me
Lastly, lots of new pieces coming in on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week! Stay tuned and happy shopping!